I wasted 2 hours of my life watching The Northman

 


I had heard about The Northman movie many times from Youtubers and from the critics giving it raving reviews.  How Northman got 90% on Rotten Tomatoes I will never understand. Many times I had heard people say it is a great movie and fans were heaping praise on the film. So I decided to watch the Northman. I was expecting to see something akin to Ragnar from the Vikings series. And I was disappointed. I felt like I wasted 2 hours of my life. The Northman is a poor man's Hamlet. The magic scenes and hallucinations are too long and waste a lot of screen time. The ending was very unsatisfying. I am not one for sad endings that seem pointless. It would have been better if Amleth and Olga escaped and lived happily ever after.

A few things did not make sense to me

Where did the boat come from that got Amleth and his blonde girlfriend, Olga? So Amleth and Olga escape and all of a sudden there is a boat waiting for them?

How could Queen Gudrun not recognise her own son? Even if 20 years had passed, a mother would know her own son.

How did the Slavs and the Viking Scandinavians communicate? I thought they spoke different languages.

Where did the ravens come from that freed Amleth when he was tied up? I can't figure out where there is magic or not in the film and whether it's real or not.

How was one man Amleth able to kill all the men belonging to Fjolnir his uncle? Amleth is a one man army like Rambo who has plot armour until the very end.

The Positives

Though Northman was a awful movie apparently it was an accurate description of life amongst the Vikings and Scandinavians. If Northman is accurate then the Scandinavians must have been barbarians. All the human sacrificing, cutting heads of horses, raiding and killing show that the pre-Christian Scandinavians were savages. I can now understand and appreciate Christianity for civilising the Scandinavians. Today there are the most peaceful and civilised people in the world thanks to Christianity.

I loved the twist in the story when Amleth finds out his mother was involved in the plot to kill his father. I did not see it coming and it was exciting to watch.

But all in all The Northman took 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I wish I never watched it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buy my books

Should Zimbabwean provinces be renamed? (Mashonaland, Manicaland and Matabeleland)

Did Ralph Cifaretto kill Pie-O-My?